Saturday, April 25, 2009

Say cheese!

Earlier this week I suddenly got a bee in my bonnet about trying to make cheese. I think if you are going to make cheese, one requirement is the use of old colloquialisms. So, I found a place online to buy cheesemaking supplies, and gosh darn it, they had a kit for mozzarella and ricotta which said it was super easy and only took 30 minutes, although I didn't trust that as far as I could throw it. But, I ordered the kit, got a gallon of my local milk on Thursday and waited for the mail man. He brought the supplies yesterday and I immediately started. I didn't take any photos, since I wasn't sure how sensitive the whole process was and didn't want to mess it up. And I started at 5 pm, which meant I was doing it with a needy toddler clinging to my legs like shit to a shovel.

But, it turned out great. It didn't take 30 minutes, it took an hour. But it worked and it was easy as pie. Easier than making pie, actually. We're going to start having weekly pizza night with homemade pizza dough (using some of the whey) and homemade mozzarella. Yum.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

Jealous! We tried that a few months back and it was horrible!

little b said...

Huh. I wonder why it didn't work, Corinne. I got the kit from www.cheesemaking.com.

Jonathan said...

Sounds great! And excellent use of colloquialisms.