Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Pregnancy rules

And I don't mean that it's the greatest thing ever, so far, I can say it's not, and although the second trimester is supposed to be great, that seems to be the exception, not the rule. Part of what makes pregnancy not rule, is the rules. And some of them are asinine - old wife’s (or doctor's) tales that people seem to follow blindly without thinking. Let look at some of the rules.

Don't eat sushi.
Don't eat soft cheese.
Don't eat deli meat.
Don't dye your hair.
Don't eat too much.
Don't eat too little.
Don't exercise too much.
Make sure you exercise.
Don't take hot baths.
Don't drink any alcohol. At all.
Don't smoke.
Don't clean the cat litter box.
Don't Don't Don't.

Sigh. Some of these are obviously true - there is evidence that smoking during pregnancy leads to low birth weight, which is associated with a host of other problems. Some are known to be harmful at certain levels (alcohol is known to cause problems at an intake of 4 or more drinks per day, but no one knows if there is a 'safe level', which presumably there is or there would be many more developmentally disabled children in Europe). But some of them are patently untrue, while most of them should be taken with a grain of salt (but not too much!!). The thing that bothers me the most about all the rules, and the fact that people like to remind you of them, is that it implies that the pregnant woman is incapable of logically thinking through her choices and then making a choice. As if she is incapable and irresponsible. It's infantilizing and condescending.

I think a lot of the rule spouting comes from doctor's who are scared of liability. If they tell you it's ok to eat sushi, but then you get some parasite, you could come back and sue them for malpractice. So they simply say no, rather than explaining the risk and allowing the woman to decide for herself. Concern also comes from family and friends, or even strangers, and it's fine to be concerned, but it's not ok to tell someone what to do, pregnant or not.

I was thinking about this while racing this weekend. A know some people thought/think that racing is a bad idea while I'm pregnant, however in the first trimester a woman is capable of going whatever she was doing before she was pregnant. It would not be ok for a pregnant woman to go out and do a 24 hr race if she wasn't used to doing it, but I am used to it, and my body is used to it. The point is that you can do what you are used to doing. Racing for me is not dangerous because I'm trained for it. I plan to keep working out and keep riding my bike to work as long as it's comfortable. At some point, it won't be, but until then and after, I get to decide what is right for me and what risks I'm willing to take.

And I'm planning on eating sushi too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Atta girl Beth!
Somehow I can picture Lois ranting in a similar way :)
Smart women rule!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Who took away your sushi!!! Sounds like someone pissed you off (maybe it's me!). So when I've talked to people about this in clinic, this is what I've said (take it or leave it). Don't eat ROTTEN sushi, go ahead with cheese (we pasturize it), exercise and eating - whatever you feel you're up to. Litter box -- a lot of people don't know that one can be a problem, but no one's ever said "but... but... I WANT to clean the litter box!"

Anyways, I guess I'm not so convinced that everyone is as smart or as concerned as you. At some level, it's safer to say "don't drink alcohol" than to say "there's an unknown cut-off for alcohol consumption that increases the risk of fetal alcohol syndrome, which could affect your child's behaviour, intellegence and physical appearance by... etc. etc." I guess I spend much of my day talking with people who really don't know (or care) what a liver is, or what the consequences of drinking ethyl alcohol might be, and they hit information overload by the time I've finished introducing myslef. And again, don't get me wrong... I spend a LOT of time drawing diagrams and answering questions and explaining and simplifying as needed, but it's depressing how little gets through, even if it's taught day after day after day.

ANYBODY can remember "don't"s, but most people can't remember the details of how toxoplasmosis crosses the placental barrier.

Anyways, how much of the commenting is just stupid meddlers like me trying to be involved... like well wishing "Don't forget your prenatal vitamin with folate!" It's not that I think you're dumb, it's just that it's my way of saying "eeeeekkkk!!!! I'm so excited you're preganant!!!"

I hope you don't take it all too hard... there's an element of targeting the lowest common denominator which feels condescending -- I had to do a stupid exam meant for international medical grads to make sure I could speak English! (And if you're gonna sue me, you might want to wait until I get in the black).

Don't get hit by a car.
Don't forget to send us your 7 week photo (c;
um... that's all the advice I can think of.

Enjoy your book club
-Erika (c;

little b said...

No, this rant wasn't directed at anyone I know, just at the corporatomedicoacracy. I know everyone is well meaning, but I think everyone gets annoyed when people tell you what to do as if you can't decide for yourself. When you're pregnant, everyone thinks they get a vote.

But, honestly, no one should take it personally. I just needed to rant.

Anonymous said...

I thought of a better example today. We have morbidity and mortality (M&M) rounds for the trauma service. We learned that more than half of our trauma patients (most of which are motor vehicle collisions) have more than the legal limit of alcohol in their blood. We all know "don't drink and drive" and in this case everybody had to know the consequences (both legal and physical) of drinking and driving, and yet... there they are in the trauma bay. Hmm... can't claim they didn't know...

Just a thought
-Erika

mel mn said...

you make me proud.
have an extra sushi for me. with wasabi.

mel

Jennifer said...

Hey Beth, I finally had a moment to look through your new blog. And, I have to tell you, when I saw that you did a race while pregnant, my thought wasn't "She shouldn't do that" it was "How the hell does she have the energy for that!?!?" I was very impressed.

Seattle Jennifer