Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What's cooking Wednesday

It seems all the rage to do 'what's cooking wednesday' posts (ok, it's a very small rage) and I've decided to jump on the bandwagon too. I don't cook every night (that's what take out and the Soup Peddler are for) but I'll try to share what I do cook on Wednesdays.

Tonight I was hosting book club, which happens about once a year, since we rotate around. The hostess does everything - the meal, dessert, wine, chooses the book, everything. Which means that it's a lot of work once a year, but the rest of the time you just get to show up and enjoy. It's very nice, actually. I didn't decide until last night what to make, and I decided on quiche. I made two - one vegetarian, one meat. I don't really follow a recipe for this, so it will be more of a description than a real recipe, and I'm going to assume you can make or scrounge a pie crust.

Bacon/spinach/onion Quiche
- Chop bacon into bite sized pieces and cook until nearly done. Drain fat and add onions. Cook until onions are translucent. Add handfuls of spinach and cook until wilted. Set aside. Brush the bottom of a pie crust with mustard, then spread bacon mixture evenly over crust. Mix together 4 eggs, 1 c milk, salt, pepper and any spice you might want. Pour over bacon mixture. Top with grated cheese of your choice. Bake in 375F oven for 45 minutes or until firm. Let sit at least 10 minutes before slicing.

Vegetarian Quiche
- Chop and saute onion until translucent. Add chopped sun dried tomatoes (in oil) and artichoke hearts. Heat until warmed and flavours have mingled. Spread evenly on bottom of pie crust. Place dollops of goat cheese on onion mixture. Mix eggs as above and pour into pie shell. Bake as above.


I love quiche - it's easy to make (if you have pie crusts on hand), it can be eaten at any meal, and it reheats brilliantly in a toaster oven or microwave. Everyone loved the two I made this evening. I served it with a mixed green salad and warm bread. We had lemon squares for dessert. Yum.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so glad you're doing this. It will feel like we're having dinner together! Feel free to also tell me what you got from the Soup Peddler if you go that route too....

Anonymous said...

OH that sounds SOOOO good -- sun dried tomato... goat cheese... pie crust... mmmmmm!!!! Makes me drool! So what was the book of choice?
-Erika