Thursday, July 12, 2007

31 weeks

Wow, time is passing quickly now. Most babies arrive between 38 and 42 weeks, which mean we have between 7 and 11 weeks left. Seven weeks. That doesn't sound like very long.

I had a good midwife appointment today. As expected, I gained WAY more than normal in the last month, but she wasn't concerned. It was because of all the extra sweets and no exercise that comes with going on vacation. Now that I'm back, I'm already doing better in both the nutrition and the exercise departments. Everything else was great. She's measuring right on track, head down and feet somewhere near my liver. A lot of the aches and pain of a few weeks ago seemed to disappear at the cottage. So I guess they weren't just pregnancy symptoms - they were pregnancy plus work stress symptoms.

I'm done work! Today is my second day of living the life of leisure. Yesterday was unpacking, grocery shopping, catching up day. Today I went to the midwife and the chiropractor and also took Westley for a hike and a swim. I could get used to this!

Development this week:
- The rate of physical growth slows down just a bit, but even though she doesn't get much longer, she will gain a lot of weight the rest of the pregnancy.
- Fat continues accumulating. This layer of fat turns her skin from red to the rosy pink she will have as a newborn.
- Calcium, phosphorus and iron are being stored and bones are growing and hardening.
- She is approximately 16.2 inches (41.1cm) long and weighs 3.3 pounds (1502gm)
- The brain enters another period of rapid growth, producing hundreds of billions of new nerve cells.
- Lungs are the only major organ left to complete development.

(No belly pictures for awhile. We are camera-less until we buy a new one. We'll try to do that very soon.)

No comments: