Monday, March 26, 2007

15.5 weeks


I've been remiss at posting fetal development updates. I've readjusted the countdown at the bottom of the page to the original due date. It was when the date seemed to have changed that I stopped the updates, but it's time to start them again. I think we only missed week 14, so we'll play catch up today. And a bonus belly shot. By the evenings, I'm definitely showing, although not enough that anyone would dare ask me in the grocery store when I'm due. It's a dangerous question to ask a woman who looks like me. Maybe I'm just fat.

I am officially in the 2nd trimester, regardless of which (of three) ways you count trimesters.
Last week (week 14):
- Thyroid gland has matured and the fetus begins producing hormones.
- In boys, the prostate gland develops.
- In girls, the ovaries move from the abdomen to the pelvis.
- The fetus's bones are getting harder and stronger.
- The skin is very transparent still.
- Lanugo (very fine hair) covers the body and will continue to grow until 26 weeks gestational age - Generally this will be shed prior to birth. Its purpose is to help protect baby's skin while in the amniotic fluid.

This week (week 15):
- May begin to feel some fluttering movements as baby kicks, flails, twists and turns. Fetus can also grasp, squint, frown, grimace and maybe suck it's thumb.
- The legs have grown longer than the arms and the body is now longer than the head.
- The three tiny bones in his middle ear have begun to harden.
- Fingernails and toenails are growing.
- Eyebrows are beginning to grow and even the hair his head is sprouting.
- The fetus is 3.98 inches (10.1cm) long and may weigh 2.47 ounces (70gm).
(from pregnancy.org)

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh my word... you have boobs!

Anonymous said...

Funny... that's what I thought when you said "I'm showing" (c;
-Erika