Saturday, March 3, 2007

Twelve (or thirteen) weeks

By the U/S measurements, I'm 13 weeks. By LMP, I'm twelve weeks. I don't know if the midwives will change the due date since the two are only a week apart, so I'm not sure which to use here. Of course, I prefer the 13 week number, but I also know that birth can happen anywhere from 28-42 weeks, so a one week difference doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of 9+ months, but when you're counting week by week, it seems like a lot!

I'll just do both.
Week 12:
- Vocal cords begin to form.
- Eyes begin to move closer together.
- Ears shift to their normal place on the side of the head.
- Intestines move farther into body.
- Liver begins to function.
- The pancreas begins to produce insulin.
- Average size is now 2.13 inches (5.4cm) and weight: 0.49 ounce (14gm)

Week 13:
- Fetus is about 2.91 inches (7.4cm) and weighs around 0.81 ounce (23gm).
- Fetus begins to practice inhaling and exhaling movements.
- Eyes and ears continue to move and develop.
- Neck is getting longer, and the chin no longer is resting on the chest.
- Hands are becoming more functional.
-At this point all nourishment is received from the placenta.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to me. My info put our due date at July 7 and our first sonogram put the date at July 20. Emily was born July 14, so you're probably safe just averaging the dates and going with that. In the end they just come out when they want to anyway:-)

Jennifer