Sunday, May 13, 2007

Thoughts on Mother's Day

I generally ignore what I refer to as 'Hallmark Holidays'. You know the ones - Valentine's day, Secretary's day, Mother's and Father's Days. But I find this year that Mother's day has been on my mind a bit, both because I'm in the process of becoming a mother and because I no longer have my mum. After my mum's death, I found I got angry when anyone complained about their mother. I felt everyone should be grateful they had a mother. I still feel that way, but I don't get worked up when someone talks negatively about their relationship with their mother since it is a very complicated, important relationship. But I do find at Mother's day those feelings return. Complaints about having to call your mother? I wish I could call my mum.

This isn't meant to be a guilt post. I have also been thinking about what kind of mum I'll be, of how I'm already becoming a mother which is a gradual process. I hope to be as good at it as my mum was, and I hope my daughter will look forward to calling on Mother's day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people would rather have a mother who’s dead with whom they had a wonderful relationship with than have a mother who is still here with whom they have a bad relationship with. Not all women make great mothers.

little b said...

I'm not sure anyone would choose a dead mother with whom they had a wonderful relationship. Sorry.