Sunday, April 8, 2007

17 weeks

I missed week 16 since I was out and about. (I started this post yesterday, but wanted to add a belly pic. But I realized today that if I wait for the belly shot, I'll have to add week 18. I'll post a belly shot on Thursday when week 18 begins.)

Week 16:
- Fat begins to form underneath skin (the fetus, not me. That has already happened to me).
- The fetus has reached 4.57 inches (11.6cm) and approximately 3.53 ounces (100gm).
- The heart is pumping as much as 6 gallons of blood a day and beats at a rate about double my heartrate.
- Sucking, swallowing and blinking are now evident.
- The fetus has learned to breathe.
Soon those individual swirls and whorls will be apparent.
Week 17:
- The fetus weighs about 4.97 ounces (140gm) and is 5.12 inches (13cm) long.
- Pads are forming on the tiny fingertips and toes.
- The eyes are looking forward now, but they are still firmly closed.
- Meconium (composed of products of cell loss, digestive secretion and swallowed amniotic fluid), is accumulating in the bowel.
- The umbilical cord is growing thicker and stronger
- If the fetus is male the prostate begins to develop.
- The skeleton is tranforming from cartilage to bone.

No comments: