Thursday, April 12, 2007

18 weeks

Week 18. Wow. That means we're approaching the half way mark already. I've been feeling more excited lately, and I attribute it to feeling the fetus move every day. It's not a strong enough movement for Graeme to feel yet, but I'm hoping that in the next week or so he'll feel it too. It's nice to feel excited - a few times over the past few weeks I've wondered if maybe this wasn't the right decision. I think all pregnant women feel like that, and I expect I'll keep having those doubts right til the end, and probably after the baby is here too. But this week, I'm excited.

I promise a belly shot by the end of the day!

From Pregnancy.org, here is what is happening this week:
- Vernix (a white cheese-like protective material) forms on fetus's skin with the lanugo (soft, lightly pigmented hair covering the body and limbs); both serve to protect the skin during the months in amniotic fluid.
- Tiny air sacs called alveoli begin to form in lungs.
- Vocal chords are formed.
- Features of the heart, including ventricles and chambers, should be visible during an ultrasound.
- The fetus measures about 5.59 inches (14.2cm) this week and weighs about 6.7 ounces (190gm). (this is measured head to rump. Suddenly at 21 weeks, measurement is done head to foot, so it would be significantly longer.)

No comments: