Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thoughts on a large uterus

On Monday the midwife told us that my uterus is measuring large for my EDD, which means one of two things, it seems. One -my date could be wrong, or two - there is more than one fetus. Presumably there is also the third and fourth options of me being of strangely large uterus and the midwife being wrong. But, I'm ruling out that fourth one, since I'm guessing she's measured a whole bunch of uteri in her day. So, since Monday I've been trying to figure out how my date could be wrong. I was pretty sure, at least until she asked me if I was sure. But that last month before peeing on the stick, I was paying attention to any signs of ovulation and clearly (from the signs) ovulation occurred. Those signs wouldn't have been present if I was already pregnant. Which leaves, in this not very rigorous analysis, the 'i'm freakishly large' and twins as the possibilities.

Which means I've done a lot of research on twins in the past few days. I've realized that it would be fine, of course. And it is still very unlikely, since twins are always unlikely. But I really really just want to see one on the ultrasound next week. The reason I only want one is that if there are two, I won't get the birth that I want. I will have to find an OB, since the birth center won't deal with multiples, and I'll have to birth in a hospital, which I really really don't want to do. So, I would be disappointed to have to change my idea of how I want it to go. That sounds very controlling or high maintenance or something, but that's how it is occurring for me right now.

In the meantime, it's a long wait until Wednesday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Texas mama. Just from my very limited experience, giving birth is a lesson in letting go of control, and just the first one of many. Austin's was different than what I'd wanted and what I'd envisioned. I thought of it as the end result of my pregnancy, but when I was in that room, I realized that the giving birth part was only a few hours of the whole life of my new, beautiful child, and that life goes on from there, it doesn't define you or your little one. Its not something that you win or lose, just a small blip in bringing you the most incredible person you've ever met.

Anonymous said...

Katherine was not initially thrilled with some the "requirements" we had to endure with the twins (I was less concerned as I was only along for the ride) Their arrival more than made up for all of it.

Karen said...

Hiya. There is also the possibility that you ovulated twice during your cycle and that could be why your dates are off... another glimpse of hope for the dates theory.

Anonymous said...

Got any fibroids? Can't WAIT for next week! -Erika

little b said...

No history of fibroids or unusual size (not the same as ROUSs) after many years of annual pelvic exams. Still waiting til Wednesday.

Karen said...

Betharooni - I found out I had some big fibroids during my c-section that did not show up in any previous pelvic exams... however, it never made my uterus measure bigger... so probably not that one.